In my never ending attempt to create things with zucchini I decided to try Zucchini Crumb Muffins. I still have quite a bit of frozen shredded zucchini from last years garden. I thought instead of making a zucchini cake I would try a muffin. Then I thought a streusel like topping might be a good idea as well.
Knowing approximately nothing about making muffins I set out to wing it. My plan was to pare down my cake recipe and bake the batter in muffin pans with topping.
I start with the dry ingredients. 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt. I mixed that together good – breaking up all the clumps of brown sugar. Then onto wet ingredients.
In a separate bowl I whisked together 2 eggs, 1 cup vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla.
The wet go into the dry and stir to combine. Then I added 1.5 cups shredded zucchini. Mine was actually a mix of shredded zucchini, zephyr squash, and crookneck squash. It was an end of the year mix of all the summer squash together.
In a small bowl I mixed 2 tablespoons softened butter with 1/2 cup flour, and 1/4 cup brown sugar. I mixed until it resembled crumbs, This will go on top of the muffins.
With the accuracy of a near sited drunkard I spooned batter into well greased muffin cups and topped with crumb mixture. I was aiming to make 12 large muffins but as I was unable to locate pans I ended up making 18 medium sized ones.
I baked in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Then removed them and allowed to cool completely in pans.
They turned out great – next time I would probably use muffin liners as I did have some issues with some sticking despite my greased pans. They were a big hit with maniacs so I chalk that up to win!
- Crumb Topping:
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups zucchini shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease or line muffin pan.
- In a small bowl combine butter, ½ cup flour, ¼ cup brown sugar and mix until it resembles crumbs. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1½ cups flour, 1 cup sugar, ½ cup brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well.
- In another bowl whisk together eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into large mixing bowl with dry ingredient ans stir to combine.
- Add shredded zucchini to batter and mix to combine.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and top with crumb mixture.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until done.
- Remove and allow to cool before enjoying!